Thursday, August 18, 2011

Westside High School, Anderson, SC


Westside High School Rams
      Westside High School is the crosstown rival of TL Hanna High School.  They play at Westside Stadium (formally known as District 5 Stadium).  Although their success on the football field hasn't been great recently, they play in one of my favorite stadiums.  TL Hanna and Westside start and finish their seasons with each other.  The first game does not count in the region standings but the last game of the year does.  Westside is in the 4-A classification of the SCHSL.  
 
Home stands
      The home stands are concrete with metal bleachers on top, which is probably the best look, in my eyes, for a high school stadium.  It adds more character and its more sturdy.  The stadium is built into a hill and you walk down into the seats which is also pretty cool because you're able to see the game while walking to your seats.  On the bottom level of the press box there are restrooms and a concessions area.  This picture was taken from the walkway at the entrance gates to the visitors side of the field.

Visitor stands
     The visitors stands are oddly configured with only 3/4 of the hill covered in concrete bleachers (I'm guessing they left the other hill open for children to play on, because I know I did when I was a child since Hanna and Westside shared this stadium for quite some time).  There are bathroom and concessions areas for the visitors in the those two buildings behind the stands.  For the visiting fans you can't walk below the stands and get to your seats but you can walk through the stands or down from above.

Scoreboard with scrolling message board
Ticket gates
     I'm not a Westside fan at all, but these next few pictures show why I think this setting makes Westside Stadium one of my favorites.

View from walk way to visitors side of the field

View from end zone

     I couldn't back up enough to get both sides in the picture, but you understand what I'm trying to do here.  I love stadiums that are built in a bowl.  To me it adds to the atmosphere, the lights shine brighter and everything just seems more intense.  I'd never pull for Westside, but the stadium was always fun to go to once a year for tailgating and fun times. 




No comments: