Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Westfield School, Perry, GA

The Westfield School Hornets
     I came across The Westfield School on a trip to south Georgia.  I was able to get in because the softball coach was there cleaning up the field, normally the gate is shut, so I got lucky and was able to take a few pictures before he left.  The school itself is very pretty and is located in Perry, Ga. (I will be profiling Perry High School in a few days). The Westfield School has an enrollment of 570 students (PK-12) and is a 3-A member of the Georgia Independent Schools Association.
Home stands
    The neat thing about this stadium is that the stands are wooden.  I'm not sure if the whole thing is made of only wood, but a large portion of it is.  It is a smaller stadium, but that is fine for a smaller school, especially when the visitors stands are just as big.  The added hedges around the field give it a nice touch.  I'm wondering if they were just recently planted or they trim them back to keep it shorter (I'd like to see them a little taller; maybe thats just the Georgia fan coming out in me).  The press box is a really good size and gives coaches plenty of room to observe the game from above (although one set of coaches are probably in the same room with the radio team if there is one).  Overall it is a very nice set of stands for the home fans.

Visitors stands, and Tonya doing the Heisman pose (or something like it haha)
     Very standard set of bleachers for the visiting fans.  No press box, which is a deviation from several of the previous stadiums profiled, but it is plenty of room for fans to mingle around and spread out.  It is a decent walk over to the other side of the stadium, and there are no concessions located near them.  Another noticeable characteristic of this stadium are the wooden poles that the lights are on.  That's a first for the blog!


Great scoreboard, and wonderful support from a lot of local businesses

Back of the home stands, and concessions area
     I was very glad that the softball coach was at the school when I drove by, it was right off the road I was traveling and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a few pictures.  It was very interesting to see the wood-look of this stadium and it's always fun to get the chance to get out there on the field.

No comments: