Friday, August 5, 2011

Dooly County High School, Vienna, Georgia

 As my girlfriend and I were driving back to Anderson, SC from Cordelle, GA after spending a weekend at the lake, I convinced her to let me stop by a few HS stadiums and take pictures.  We stopped at five HS's on the way back, and I had a blast.  Tonya, not so much haha.  However, she was very patient with me even though it made the trip back 2 hours longer.
    
 Dooly County's stadium was pretty small, but large for single-A Georgia High School Classification.
     The set up is very interesting with the entrance to the stadium located on the visitors side of the field.  It is obvious that the visitors stands had been either redone or replaced recently and the home side looks newer as well.  The split seating sections is something I had never seen before except at Charleston Southern University.  Very interesting to say the least, but it gave me a decent shot at the field.  Take notice of the light poles, very different from New Braunfels High.  
     This next picture makes me think that the visitors side used to be the home side, because there is a pressbox on both sides, which is not very common at high school stadiums unless they end up switching the seating around. 
Very interesting set up for the ticket counter haha, but that's one thing I love about these small town football stadiums.  It adds character, history and it is very intriguing. 
     A gazebo sits right outside the stadium, probably a class gift at some point in time.  Kind of a romantic feel to it, most definitely a spot where HS kids have made memorable moments. 
     I really enjoyed getting to visit Dooly High, and even more so I enjoyed the town of Vienna.  Very tiny, very southern and tons of history.  Dooly County is definitely one of the most unique stadiums I have been to, and if I'm ever down that way again I'd love the chance to catch a game there.  
     I'll leave you with this parting photo: Go Bobcats!
Also, if you're wondering what the wooden structure is in the picture, I've been told it is for handicap seating.














No comments: