Friday, August 5, 2011

Brantley High School, Brantley, Alabama

I freaking love this sign.  Old school.
    I randomly happened upon Brantley High School (PK-12) when I was driving down to Mobile, AL in May 2011.  It was out of the way, but as soon as I got into Alabama I got off the interstate and hit the back roads.  I had just finished up at visit at Luverne High School (about 25 minutes away), and had told my buddy Alex that I would not stop by any more and I'd head straight to Mobile.  That didn't happen because I stopped by two more.
I wasn't even looking for this place when I turned onto the main street and bam, I hit the jackpot.  
Love this picture, taken from the middle of the road

     This was a gem of a place!  As I pulled in I saw a teacher standing outside the Admin. building and I asked him if it would be alright to take a few pictures.  He said sure, and he took me down the the locker room and introduced me to the head coach, who in turn introduced me to the rest of the staff.  The players had just finished with practice - a few were walking home and others were hitting the weights; and the coaches were studying in their section of the locker room.  I talked with the head coach for a minute and he let me shoot away.
Visitors Side
     The visitors side is pretty standard for a high school football stadium except it has a press box, which makes me think that the visitors side is a new addition.  I'm sure at some point everyone sat on the home side of the field, but I could be wrong.  The green seats are a nice touch, it makes me laugh because the visiting fans have to sit in them which could pose a problem sometimes haha.

Favorite picture
Wide shot of the field, I love pictures like this that show the whole stadium.  I try to get one in every stadium I visit, but sometimes its not possible.  This shot gives the player's point of view before they run out into this place, which  is one of my all time favorite smaller stadiums.  The head coach said it seats about 1500-2000 people which is pretty amazing considering the town population is 920 (Brantley is in the city of Luverne which has a population of 2600. And i'm not so sure that Brantley didn't have a bigger stadium than Luverne HS, which I'll profile later), and the school plays in single-A Alabama football.

Home side
Home side is pretty nice for a Single-A school.  Not spread out, steep and compact.  Perfect for keeping the noise level up, and giving everyone a great view of the game. Not to mention a very decent press box.  This town keeps impressing me.
Great scoreboard for the school, pretty cool backdrop as well.

Bulldog statue
     I'm not sure how long the statue has been there, but its a great addition to the already stellar facilities for a school this size.  Total student body is around 580!  I'm guessing the players touch the bulldog when they run out, but I do not know for sure.
Restrooms and Concessions

Locker room, weight lifting, and coaches offices
I had a great time stopping by Brantley High School, and I want to thank Coach Lowery for letting me chat for few minutes and take some pictures of his stadium.  Good luck in the upcoming season, and if I'm ever down that way in the fall I would definitely stop by to watch the bulldogs play.
   






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Luverne & Brantley are only 8 miles apart. Also, Brantley is not in the same city as Luverne - only the same county. (: