Tuesday, May 3, 2011

New Braunfels High School Unicorns (TX)

The first stadium I will blog about is New Braunfels HS in New Braunfels, TX.

And yes, that is a Unicorn on the sign for NBHS. As my family and I were driving through Texas this summer we randomly passed by here and as soon as I saw that the stadium name was Unicorn Stadium, we had to stop. I remember reading an article in Sports Illustrated for Kids many years ago about strange high school nicknames, and I'm pretty sure this might have been on there.
The stadium is built out of metal, and looks like your basic high school football stadium. Both the home and visitor sides are of equal length with the home side having a press box built on top. There was a decent amount of parking behind the visitors section, but most of the parking was in the actual school parking lot. One neat thing I started to notice about all these stadiums is the way the lights are constructed. To me they look like the tall structures that are built on oil fields that house the machinery used to pump the oil. I've never thought to look at the lights before, but during this trip most of the schools utilized this feature. It may be the way all across the nation. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled next time I pass by a stadium.
Another feature of the high school football stadium I like to look at is the entrance, which includes the section where tickets are taken up and the fans enter the field. This particular stadium had a tiny ticket booth, which to me is classic. It's old school and that's what I love to see. It doesn't match very well with the modern look of this stadium, so it definitely stands out.
**This entrance may be a former entrance, and tickets could be taken up at the gate in the background, but there were windows on that little brick building.
One thing I find hilarious about this picture is the hoof prints leading into the gates. They seriously have some Unicorn pride, which they should for such a unique mascot.
The reason for stopping by this stadium was not because of the uniqueness of the structure, and it was not even one of my planned stops but after seeing the mascot name I knew we had to make a special stop to snap a few photos of this high school.
Here are some more photos:













































No comments: